Know Your Worth
Jessica Sunday
"Know your worth!," is a phrase many of us have spoken to the ones that are closest to us. It is often used when a friend may be talking to someone who you know would not be good for your friend. It is used in breakups or as a general word of encouragement. I could not help but gaze at this photo before I realized that the woman on this bus is a prime example of worth. We have all rode on the bus of "low self worth." It is a bus I have been on and a bus I sometimes still catch a ride on here and there. Let me tell you, you never get what you pay for when you get on this bus. I can encourage all the people in the world to know their worth, but if I cannot know my own worth, I speak in vain. Likewise, you can tell all your friends and family to know their worth, but if you do not know yours, what's the purpose?
The only reflection starring back at you is yourself not anybody else. We need to look our reflection in the mirror and say, "I know my worth today. I am worth more than I can ever imagine. I am not defined by anyone's views of me. I am created with a divine purpose. I stand confident in the woman or man I am becoming. I am worth it!" No more starring at your reflection trying to be somebody else's reflection of what you think worth is, beauty is, fun is, attractive is, success is, or acceptable is. The only reflection you are is a direct reflection of yourself not your parents, not your professors, not your friends, or your family, They may have influenced you in great ways in the man or woman you are becoming, but your reflection is made up of decisions, places, and circumstances you have made, been, and have been through in life.
So, here is to embracing who you are: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Each of these categories do not hinge on your worth though. Many struggle with thinking they are less than worth it on their ugly days, but that could not be further from the God-fearing truth. If you are struggling to find your worth, here is something that will blow your mind.
Jesus knew your worth before you could ever fathom knowing it. He proved your worth when He was nailed to the cross and died for you. Jesus thought you were worth dying for. Ponder that for awhile, and it will blow you away.
Takeaways:
- You were worth dying for.
- Don't stare at your reflection so hard that you try to be somebody else's reflection - that's impossible!
- If you do not know your own worth, how can you expect somebody else to know theirs?
- Your ugly days do not hinge on your worth.
- On the days you are struggling to claim your worth, Jesus already claimed it at the cross.
"You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you."
John 15:16

No comments:
Post a Comment