Thursday, July 6, 2017

Abundantly Living


Abundantly Living 
Jessica Sunday 

This morning I did my daily routine of brewing a fresh cup of coffee. I am sure most of you have used a Keurig or at least witnessed someone using one. Confession 101 of mine is that I have a mug obsession. So, while I was waiting for my Keurig to warm up, I picked out a small dainty mug of mine that I probably picked up at Goodwill. While I have not always been the best judge of things, I attempted to select a measurement that would be best for my mug. I selected 6 ounces, and when it was finished filling up, there was still a great void of missing coffee. I persisted to select 4 more ounces. That did it! It was literally filled to the very top leaving no room for any more contribution to my coffee addiction. Okay, I am not quite an addict here, but this filled-to-the-brim-cup got me thinking. 

This full cup is exactly what the Lord wants to do with our lives. He wants our lives to be so full of Him that there is no room for the world in all its hurtful lusts and enticing activities to have place in our lives. Have you ever just been so beaten down by the cares of this world that you felt as if your life was running on empty? Has the coffee cup you have been trying to brew for the last few months been running low? I will be the first to admit that I indeed have been there. Can I encourage you that Jesus Christ Himself does not want us there. 

If we allow Him to work in and through our lives, submitting to His plan daily, He will be the "Cup-Filler." Listen, if Jesus could perform the very first miracle and fill up those water pitchers to the brim, He can fill up our lives to the max! John 10:10 says, "... I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." He does not want us living in the beginning of that verse: "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy." He wants our lives to be so full that if He did one more God-ordained thing in your life, your cup would be running over! 

See, the world wants to take the joy of Christ from your life. They want nothing more than for you to take part in their sin, lifestyle, and lusts, but what they do not realize is that when you are fully yielded to God's best for your life, they have absolutely no power to do that. Here are some ways you can be sure you are abundantly living your life: 

1. Praying
2. Reading God's Word 
3. Reflecting 
4. Walking through open doors of opportunities God has ordained
5. Seeking godly counsel 
6. Surrounding yourself with godly friends, Bible studies, and activites
7. Submitting and obeying what the Lord is calling you to do/or not do 

Did you just read this list and think: Really, these are basic things we should all be doing. Yes, they are, but how often do we get caught up in the mundane things of our everyday life and forget the basics. Maybe your basic go-to is not seeking godly counsel or reflecting. These two things have been a recent go-to I have learned and incorporated into my own life. They are not only good for you to do, but I believe they are absolutely essential. I will touch on these in a later blog post. 

Let me encourage you to take the list I have made and line up Biblically why each is so necessary as well as adding to the list something that would push us to living an abundant life. I would be so encouraged to hear your thoughts and reflections with this post. Remember, we are called to abundantly living the life God has given us. So, do not settle for a life half lived. 




"... I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." 
John 10:10 b

No comments:

Post a Comment